Hands-On Training Boot Camp
3-Hour Program Description
- Three-hour night program format at six locations (to be selected)
- 6:00-9:00 p.m (breaks included)
- Student prerequisites: New York State Firefighter 1 or equivalent
- PPE requirements: Full turnout gear – coat, pants, helmet, gloves, hood and SCBA, although no air usage is required
- 30 student max (10 students per station in a rotation – breaks at rotation)
- FASNY member – $75.00, non-member – $90.00
- All pre-registered students will receive a Boot Camp T-Shirt
Inward Opening Conventional Forcible Entry encompasses “the irons.” Students will be working in teams of two to make entry to inward opening doors. Doors range in difficulty from one lock to multiple locks, both high and low. Using the “gap, set, force” technique, the students will have plenty of hands-on time to operate both the halligan and the ax. Minor modifications to the halligan will be shown, as will the differences between a six- and eight-pound ax in addition to a maul.
Station 2: Firefighter Bailout
With bailout systems being a requirement in the state of New York, firefighters must practice them to be proficient. Regardless of the system used, the basics of tying remotely or hooking into the window sill and the exit remain the same. Firefighters will have the opportunity to practice their own systems or use other systems provided. Firefighters will perform bailouts both using a remote anchor and a window sill deployment with an emphasis on control and a smooth descent to the ground. Safety belays systems will be in place.
Station 3: Roof Vent
Firefighters will perform vertical ventilation on a 25-degree pitch roof. Firefighters will practice ascending both a portable and the roof ladder while sounding the roof and getting all of the required equipment to the roof. Members will then make a couple of cuts using a ventilation saw while being assisted by a partner. The emphasis for this station will be on safety and operation of the saw while on a peaked roof.